------ "...it is finished..." -- John 19:30 ------

Friday, January 11, 2008
ENTRY 30: OSAP ASAP
I'm really, really, really excited about my enrollment into Trebas. It's going to be amazing! Learning all the in's and out's, the do's and dont's about filming, directing, editing, and -- best of all -- screenwriting! The Institute just opened up a new studio, as well, so I'm heading to an open house next Wednesday to check it out. That should be awesome as well. The craziest things about it is that classes start February 11th! What?!

One downside: the tuition. I was under the impression that I'd have to pay, say, $5000...something along those lines. Turns out the tuition is a staggering $17,000. Where the hell am I going to find that much money in a month? Hence, why I'm turning to OSAP.

The last time I tried to apply for OSAP, I was turned down because I lived at home and my parents combined make more than 90K. Since then, nothing has changed, so as you can imagine I'm a little anxious. As I type this, I've been filling out the online application. Hopefully the sheer magnitude of the tuition will allow me some leeway in the eyes of the OSAP gods.

My pockets are lookin' kinda empty right now...

Labels: , , ,

finished by Carter @ 12:10 AM  
3 Finished Comments:
  • At January 11, 2008 9:16 AM, Blogger Tony M said…

    I recently picked up a couple of books on screenwriting... I have a few ideas I want to get down myself, and while the ideas are good, I never seem to be able to do screenplays very well.

    Good luck with your tuition. I had a similar thing back when I first started college. I was a National Merit Scholar, and was offered a full-ride scholarship at UAH (and would have picked up the national merit scholarship as well and my dad would have bought me a car since he wouldn't have to pay for the tuition); I'd also considered attending the US Naval Academy (my parents still have the sealed ACT scores we were going to send to our senator for a reference/appointment). Instead I chose to go to Worcester Polytechnic Institute, the #3 engineering school in the US at the time. Their financial aid wasn't merit based, but need based, and while my dad made a lot on paper, he didn't actually get all that he made. So instead of a full-ride, we ended up paying around 7 of the 22k it cost (and that's not counting the loans), for the first year.

    What did I get for that? One year. Then I dropped out of WPI (wasn't for me), married, attended a community college for a couple of quarters, ended up enlisting in the Navy (instead of being an officer had I gone through the academy), and finally wound up paying my way through UAH. Talk about full circle!

    At least, though, I ended up with a better appreciation for my schooling, put more effort into it, and came away graduating Magna cum Laude (while attending school 1/2 time or more, working full time, being very active in the church, and raising a family with my wife and four kids). Tough, but worth it, I think.

    Anyway, hang in there - and don't let your schooling just pass by; make sure you make the most of it, since you only (typically) get one shot at it.

     
  • At January 13, 2008 12:03 PM, Blogger Llama said…

    That is so great! Congrats! All the best with the schooling and the fees! (Excuse the multiple exclamation marks... but this is really cool :D ) Very happy for you :D

     
  • At January 16, 2008 4:34 AM, Blogger Carter said…

    Thanks, you guys. I'm really excited!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


The famous words of Jesus Christ resonate with my person: words impressing me with total, victorious finality. Words that I hope to say down the road.
Blogs
About Me

Name: Carter
Home: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About Me:
See my complete profile
Finished Posts
Archives
Shoutbox

Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER